Sausage & Bean Casserole
This one-pot sausage casserole recipe can be made with either venison or wild boar sausages and your favourite bean. It is a simple and tasty dish, with fennel seeds providing additional flavour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 2-3 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 venison sausages or wild boar sausages
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 2 red onions sliced into thin half moons
- 1 red pepper deseed and finely cut
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼tsp sugar
- 400g borlotti beans rinsed and drained - or try any other favourite bean
- 10g parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the casserole pot, brown the sausages on all sides and then remove them and set aside.
- Add the fennel seeds and fry for 30 secs before adding in the onions, peppers and garlic and sautéing for about 8 minutes or until softened.
- Return the sausages to the pan, followed by the tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar, herbs and sugar, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add in the beans and simmer for another 5 mins before adjusting the seasoning and removing from the heat.
Thank you to Suffolk food blogger Bintu from Recipes from a Pantry for sharing this recipe with us.
If you’re bored of bland burgers, you’ll love the gamey flavour of these venison burgers. Made with seasoned venison mince, they can’t be beaten in...