Tried and tested, this game pie can be served hot or cold for a comforting meal.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Serves: 6 people
- 200g diced braising venison
- 350g diced mix game, (e.g. pheasant, partridge, rabbit, and hare leg meat)
- 2 large onions sliced
- 100g smoked bacon, diced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 200ml red wine
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 packet rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Heat a large pan and fry off the meat in batches until evenly coloured. Remove all the meat and fry the bacon and onions until slightly golden.
- Add all the meat back into the pan and add the bay leaves, thyme, mushrooms and flour. Coat all the meat and allow to cook for a few minutes before adding the red wine, redcurrant jelly, Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and allow to cook for 1hr 15mins.
- After cooking, season the mix and transfer to a 25 cm pie dish of your choice about 25 cm diameters is perfect but a deep rimmed plate will work just as well.
- Cover the top of the dish with the pastry and trim off the excess pastry. Crimp the edges with a folk and brush the top with a beaten egg. Season with salt and bake in the oven for 30mins at 180oc or until golden brown.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
I love a regular beef chilli, but this venison version is something else! Using a combination of diced haunch and venison mince gives the dish a real depth of flavour and a great texture.
Venison Sausages with Roasted Garlic Mash
Suffolk bangers & mash! Hillfarm produce their rapeseed oil just a few miles up the road from us in Suffolk and it makes the best mashed potato - the perfect partner to our venison sausages
Sausage & Bean Casserole
This one-pot sausage casserole recipe can be made with either venison or wild boar sausages and your favourite bean. It is a simple and tasty dish, with fennel seeds providing additional flavour.