Grouse with Herby Spelt risotto
If you’re looking for a change from traditional roast grouse this herby spelt risotto makes a great accompaniment to grouse. Spelt is a great grain to use as an alternative to rice in risotto and it holds up well to the strong flavours of the grouse. This is delicious served with a herby green salad on the side with a mustardy dressing spooned over.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 2 people
- 2 whole grouse
- 50g Diced Onion
- 100g Pearled Spelt soaked in cold water for a few hours
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 20g Chopped parsley, chives, chervil (or a selection of other garden herbs)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 200*C
- Season the grouse and sear in a hot oven-proof pan for a a few minutes on each side.
- Transfer to pan to the hot oven and roast for 10 minutes. Once it’s cooked set the birds aside for at least 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile sauté the onion in a little oil until soft and translucent. Stir in the spelt and then add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the spelt is cooked.
- Season the spelt well and fold through the chopped herbs.
- Remove the breast and legs from the grouse.
- To serve remove all the meat from the legs and slice the breast. Spoon the spelt risotto onto the plates and arrange the grouse meat on top.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.