Venison Kebabs With Yoghurt & Cucumber Marinade
The marinade for these venison skewers add flavour and spice while also ensuring the meat doesn’t dry out while cooking. With the Tzatziki style dip and a green salad and rice, this recipe is perfect for laidback summer evenings.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- 2.5cm (1inch) piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 small tub (250ml) plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cucumber
- 275ml (1/2 pint) plain yoghurt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- lemon juice
- mint leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- Blitz all marinade ingredients, except the oil and yoghurt, in a food processor, or chop very finely.
- Stir in the oil and yoghurt and add the cubed venison, mixing well to ensure all pieces of the meat are covered.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge for several hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain the meat and thread onto skewers so the cubes do not touch. Grill or barbecue for about 15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
- For the sauce: coarsely grate the cucumber onto a plate, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Press the cucumber and pour away the excess liquid.
- Stir into the yoghurt and add the ground cumin, chopped mint leaves and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Serve with rice and a fresh green salad.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
Venison Rillettes on Sourdough
Lean full-flavoured venison is braised slowly with duck or goose fat and wild boar bacon in this wild version of the classic French dish created by Hannah from Herbs and Wild. Surprisingly easy to make, it’s superb as a starter or lunch with sourdough toast.
Barbecued Whole Venison Haunch
There's something truly special about the taste of a whole venison joint fresh off the barbecue. This recipe keeps it simple with an overnight marinade, a straightforward salt-pepper-garlic rub, and a foolproof lid-down barbecuing technique to ensure juicy, tender results.