With the right ingredients, the humble sausage roll can feel like one of the finest things you’ll ever eat! The deep fruity flavours of sloe gin work perfectly with rich game: wild boar and wild venison are both ideal.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- 100g wild boar sausagemeat (or venison mince)
- 100g pork mince
- 500g puff pastry sheet
- 50g diced onion
- 50ml Sloe Gin
- Chopped fresh thyme
- Chopped fresh sage
- Cornish sea salt
- Milled black pepper
- Mix the game mince, pork mince, diced onion, chopped herbs and sloe gin. Season well.
- Place the mixture on the pastry and roll over to form a sausage roll.
- Crimp the edges, score the top and brush with an egg wash.
- Place into a hot over 180℃ for 25 minutes.
- Once cooked removed from the oven and allow to rest.
- Slice and serve warm with a little spiced apple chutney.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t enjoy a sausage roll, but this is really a great and easy way to make them even better by adding grouse to the filling. I’ve noticed this is also a really popular dish with the kids. It’s really important you buy good-quality sausage meat to mix with the grouse