Spatchcock BBQ Squirrel
Marinading the squirrel overnight in flavoursome maple syrup, garlic and mustard enhances the squirrel. It then cooks quickly on a hot barbecue. A talking point for any barbecue party.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes + 12 hours marinading time
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Serves: 1 squirrel per person
- 1 whole squirrel
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- Dash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- To spatchcock the squirrel, use a pair of scissors to cut along the rib cage to the neck, turn the squirrel over and squash with the palm of your hand so the squirrel lies flat.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and rub in to the squirrel. Place in the fridge for a minimum 12 hours.
- The following day, light the BBQ and leave to gain full heat, cook the squirrel for 5 minutes on each side and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Chop the squirrel into pieces before serving.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.