Slow-cooked Squirrel and Chorizo Stew
This is a take on a traditional Catalan dish of rabbit, beans and chorizo. With strong flavours and smokey paprika baked long and slow in the oven, the meat will be juicy and tender. Serve it with crusty bread.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 hours
- Serves: 2 people
- 2 whole squirrels
- vegetable oil
- 200g chorizo
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250g butter beans
- 250g chopped tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp crushed chilli seeds
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC
- Cut up the squirrel into five pieces. Heat plenty of vegetable oil in a frying pan and add the quarrel to brown off for no more than 1 minute
- Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Roughly chop the onion and slice the chorizo in to small pieces and add to the frying pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the squirrel, onion and chorizo into a suitable oven proof dish, and add the chopped tomatoes, water, smoked paprika and garlic, and put into the oven.
- Cook for four hours, remove from the oven and add the butter beans and chilli. Return to the oven for another hour.
- Serve with some crispy warm bread and butter.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
Spatchcock BBQ Squirrel
Marinading the squirrel overnight in flavoursome maple syrup, garlic and mustard enhances the squirrel. It then cooks quickly on a hot barbecue. A talking point for any barbecue party.