Roast belly pork with mustard mash and braised red cabbage
A delicious, simple-to-prepare family Sunday lunch.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 3 hours
- Serves: 4 people
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Rub the scored pork with a little oil and salt, place in a roasting tray and into the oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 180ºC then reduce the heat to 140ºC and cook for a further 2½ hours.
- Meanwhile, chop up the red cabbage and cook it gently in a large pan with the wine and sugar for 1½ hours, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Boil the potatoes, drain and mash them with the butter and mustard and keep warm.
- When cooked, take the pork from the oven, remove the crackling and let the meat rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Carve into six pieces. Serve with the cabbage and mash and a piece of crackling, along with apple sauce and gravy if you like.
Thank you to Blythburgh Pork for sharing this recipe with us.
24 hour roast pork shoulder
24 hours may seem a long time, but once the pork is in the oven, there’s nothing to do but let it gently cook, producing meltingly tender pork that will just fall apart into shreds.