Mediterranean Warm Partridge Salad
This light herby summer salad combines the sweetness of roast partridge with different types of beans. Anchovies and capers and a mustardy dressing give it a refreshing brightness. You can cook the partridge, beans and eggs ahead of time and combine all the elements when you’re ready to serve the salad. Just remember to keep the meat pink so it stays juicy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 5 people
- 4 whole partridges
- 250g broad beans, shelled
- 250g French beans, topped and tailed
- 420g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Little Gem lettuce
- A good handful of mixed salad leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 6-8 anchovies, chopped
- 8 quails eggs
- 2 tbsps chopped flat leaved parsley, chives and dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200ºC
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a high heat. Season the partridge and brown all over in the hot pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes or until medium-rare. Set aside, covered with foil to keep it moist, and let it cool until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
- Steam the French beans and broad beans for just a 3-4 minutes until just tender add the butter beans for a moment to warm them. Drain them and set aside.
- Place quails eggs in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold tap and peel off shells to serve.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- To assemble the salad spread the salad leaves on a large plate and add the beans. Slice the partridge and arrange over the leaves and beans. Scatter with the capers, anchovies, halved eggs and herbs.
- Serve with crisp white wine and crunchy bread.
Thank you to Game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.