Cider Chicken Casserole with Fresh Plums
This is a perfect family midweek supper, quick to prepare and left to do it’s thing in the oven it makes the most of our favourite free range Sutton Hoo Chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Serves: 4 people
- 8 Sutton Hoo chicken thighs (skin on) or 12 Sutton Hoo chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 75g button mushrooms - washed
- 50ml Cider (We love Aspall Organic Cyder)
- 100ml double cream
- 200ml chicken stock or water
- 2/4 plums - de stoned and cut into wedges
- Salt and pepper
Thank you to Sutton Hoo Chicken for sharing this recipe with us.
- Pre heat oven to 200°C.
- Rub the chicken with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and then dip both sides of the chicken in the flour and shake off the excess flour from the thighs.
- Gently heat the oil and half the butter in a large casserole dish on a low to medium heat then add the thighs and fry on both sides in the casserole dish until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Put the remaining butter in the pan and put in the mushrooms. Fry for 2-3 minutes whilst scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Then add in the garlic and rosemary and gently fry these for another 2 minutes, then pour in the Cider. Bring to a slight simmer then put the chicken back in the casserole pan.
- Pour in the stock/water and gently warm and then place in the oven. Cook for 30mins.
- Carefully remove from the oven and put in the plums and cream. Stir thoroughly and then return to the oven and cook for a further 10mins.
- Finally, remove from the oven, stir again and check the seasoning. Adjust to taste and then you are ready to serve. This goes well with rice, bread or any type of potato.