Barbecued Venison Steaks
Swap your burgers and sausages for a venison steak to make your barbecue a little bit healthier and a little bit more tastier. This delicious marinade will ensure the meat doesn't dry out.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- 4 venison loin steaks or venison haunch steaks
- 150ml red wine
- 2tbsp French wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- If the steaks are thickly cut, put each steak between two sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin to about ½" thick.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the steaks in a dish and pour over the marinade. Cover with cling film, put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the meat from the marinade, season on each side and place on a hot barbecue. Cook on each side turning regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Baste occasionally with the remaining marinade to keep moist.
Thank you to game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
Venison Steak and Chunky Tomatillo Salsa Tacos
This dish combines tender, barbequed venison haunch steaks with a zingy, chunky tomatillo salsa brought together in a warm, soft taco. These rustic, fresh tacos pair perfectly with an ice-cold Corona and lime!
I love a regular beef chilli, but this venison version is something else! Using a combination of diced haunch and venison mince gives the dish a real depth of flavour and a great texture.