Barbecued Venison Steaks
Swap your burgers and sausages for a venison steak to make your barbecue a little bit healthier and a little bit more tastier. This delicious marinade will ensure the meat doesn't dry out.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- 4 venison loin steaks or venison haunch steaks
- 150ml red wine
- 2tbsp French wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- If the steaks are thickly cut, put each steak between two sheets of cling film and flatten with a rolling pin to about ½" thick.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Put the steaks in a dish and pour over the marinade. Cover with cling film, put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the meat from the marinade, season on each side and place on a hot barbecue. Cook on each side turning regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Baste occasionally with the remaining marinade to keep moist.
Thank you to game-to-eat for sharing this recipe with us.
Venison Casserole with Beer
This succulent, slow-cooked dish is very easy to get in the pan and bakes down to beautiful, unguent tenderness. Enjoy it with a heap of buttery celeriac mash, cabbage and redcurrant jelly.