Sausage & Bean Casserole
This one-pot sausage casserole recipe can be made with either venison or wild boar sausages and your favourite bean. It is a simple and tasty dish, with fennel seeds providing additional flavour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 2-3 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 venison sausages or wild boar sausages
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 2 red onions sliced into thin half moons
- 1 red pepper deseed and finely cut
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼tsp sugar
- 400g borlotti beans rinsed and drained - or try any other favourite bean
- 10g parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the casserole pot, brown the sausages on all sides and then remove them and set aside.
- Add the fennel seeds and fry for 30 secs before adding in the onions, peppers and garlic and sautéing for about 8 minutes or until softened.
- Return the sausages to the pan, followed by the tomatoes, stock, balsamic vinegar, herbs and sugar, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add in the beans and simmer for another 5 mins before adjusting the seasoning and removing from the heat.
Thank you to Suffolk food blogger Bintu from Recipes from a Pantry for sharing this recipe with us.
Tried and tested, this game pie can be served hot or cold for a comforting meal.
This is a gamey version of a Shepherd’s pie, with parsnip added to the mash topping to give it a savoury and sweet flavour.
Wild Boar Goulash
Goulash is a hearty stew of meat and vegetables, typically seasoned with paprika. The dish originates from Hungary and is ideally suited to our diced wild boar.