Thanks to Maddie at the British Larder for sharing this fabulous recipe for one of the tastiest wild game birds around..
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the head and truss the birds with the slices of bacon. Roast the birds in the preheated oven for 14 minutes, rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the legs and breast; return the legs to the oven to continue roasting for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the guts which should have turned into a soft pate, and stir into a boiling hot game sauce.
- Remove the breast from the crown and crisp the skin in a hot pan with foaming butter.
- Serve immediately.
For full recipe details visit The British Larder or p46 of The British Larder Cookbook.